Australia is one of the favorite study destinations for international students due to its educational standards. Admission to various Australian colleges and universities is open under the Australia Awards Scholarship (AAS). If you want to pursue your graduation or master’s degree in Australia, you can take advantage of applying for this scholarship.
Students from all the developing countries, especially those living in the Indo-Pacific region, are encouraged by the Australian government to apply for the Australian Awards Scholarship to continue their studies in leading Australian universities. The winners of this scholarship will enhance their skills and expertise in various subjects and serve their nation in better ways.
Australian Government Scholarship Benefits
The successful candidates will enjoy the following benefits under this scholarship program.
- Zero tuition fee.
- One time return airfare from the home country to Australia and then back to the home country.
- AUD 5000 will be provided as an establishment allowance. This is provided to arrange accommodation, textbooks, and other required material.
- The students will receive a grant of almost AUD 3000 twice in a month for living expenses. This grant can vary depending on the recommendations of the department where the student is enrolled.
- Before the studies start, the students will undergo an obligatory program to understand about life and studies in Australia.
- All the scholarship winners will get basic medical insurance for the entire tenure of their studies in Australia.
- Above all, the students are also provided with additional benefits to complete their degrees in Australia and serve their motherlands.
Here, it is pertinent to mention that this scholarship program does not offer any financial or other support for the dependents of the students. If a student brings family, he will be responsible for the expenses.
List of Eligible Countries for Australian Awards Scholarship
Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Maldives, Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Federated States of Micronesia, Indonesia, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Africa, Vietnam, Republic of Palau, Kiribati, Palestinian Territories, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga, Mongolia, Marshall Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa, Laos, Tuvalu, Timor-Leste, Wallis, and Futuna.
Eligibility Criteria for Australian Government Scholarship
Australia Awards Council has laid down some eligibility criteria for admission under this scholarship. The following are some of the conditions to fulfill to ensure eligibility.
- The students should be at least 18 years or more at the time of the Australian Awards Scholarship.
- Students should be citizens of those developing countries that are enlisted.
- There should not be an issue in the passport or immigration of the students.
- All the interested students must possess an Australian student Visa.
- Australian citizens living in any part of the world are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- The students should fulfill the country-specific requirements mentioned in the Australian Awards Scholarship program.
English Requirements for Australian Government Scholarship
- The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) requires a certificate from all the students to prove that English is their native language or they have received education in English. The students can also submit their English transcripts as proof.
- TOEFL, PTE Academic and IELTS are among the other tests the students may have to pass before the commencement of the studies under this scholarship. These tests are for those who do not meet DFAT’s English language requirements.
- Usually, these English language tests are valid for two years. Thus, the passing certificates should not be older than two years otherwise they will have to undergo the tests again.
- The scores for different tests should be as under:
- A minimum band of 6.5 overall for IELTS. Also, there should be no band below 6.0
- A minimum score of 580 in the TOEFL written test along with 4.5 scores in English writing. However, a score of 92 is also acceptable if the students undergo tests online.
- 58 score with 50 in communication skills is recommended for PTE Academic tests.
- The students will have to fulfill all the English language requirements of the department they are going to take admission if these are different than those recommended by the Australian Awards Scholarship.
Application Procedure for Australian Awards Scholarship
Taking note of the opening and closing dates of admissions under this scholarship program is always necessary. These dates may vary for different countries. Therefore, the student must select his country of residence and then check the dates for his country. All the information about dates, eligibility criteria, preferences, and application procedures are available under the countries names.
It is also worth mentioning that some countries require students to apply online while others demand hard copies of all the documents along with application form. You can check the requirement of your country by selecting the name of the country from the list of countries. Australian Awards Council has also designed separate country-wise websites to facilitate the students to check and download all the necessary documents. There is also a complete guide on ‘How to apply for Australian Awards Scholarship’ on the websites of the countries.
How to apply for an Australian Government Scholarship?
Answering a few simple questions on the Online Australia Scholarship Information System (OASIS) can make you eligible for online registration to this scholarship program. You will get a username, password, and a unique registration number to log in and apply online.
One of the most interesting things about application submission is that there is no need to fill it hurriedly and apply immediately. Instead, you can take your time to fill the application form. Even, you can update it daily and submit after it is filled. After submission, you cannot change any of the information. However, it is advisory to fill and submit the application form timely to avoid any issue near closing dates. Usually, the website (OASIS) gets busy near the closing dates and your application may delay.
Submission of Application by Mail
If a student faces any issue in submitting the online application, the Australia Awards Council also accepts applications through email. Get a hard copy of the application form and other templates required and submit those through email after filling.
Documents Required for Online Application of Australian Government Scholarship
- Attested copies of all the degrees completed.
- Attested copies of birth certificate, National Identity Card, and Passport.
- Your work and research experience in the form of a basic CV.
- For research-based MS and Ph.D. Degrees submit academic-based and research-based referee reports.
- A valid certificate of passing TOEFL or IELTS to prove English language efficiency.
- The students seeking admission to Ph.D. Degree will have to submit an acceptance letter from the supervisor. For other courses, there is no such requirement.
- After a student gets selected for Ph.D. Degree in an Australian university, he will submit his research proposal to that institute.
Terms and Conditions for Australia Government Scholarship
The following are the terms and conditions for the scholarship winners.
- They will have to study in the session for which they are granted the scholarship.
- Also, the students will take only those courses for which they are awarded the scholarship.
- The students will always follow the Australian rules as well as rules of the institution in which they get admission.
- The scholarship winners will show consistent and satisfactory performance in their studies.
- DFAT will maintain clear communication with the student supervisor during this period.
- The scholarship awardees will leave Australia two years after the completion of the degree.