The Indian Institute of Science (IISC) is inviting applications for the fully-funded Scholarships for the class of 2022-2023. There are various degree programs, and scholarship types being offered by IISC.
So, are you aspiring to seek admission at the Indian Institute of Science?
Then the first question that you probably would’ve asked yourself is;
‘can I afford to go to the Indian Institute of Science (IISC) as an international student?’
The Indian Institute of Science charges around 35,000 INR from students enrolling in Bachelors in Science, Masters in Science, Ph.D. Master’s in Design and Master’s in Technology each year, while the fee of students enrolling in Master’s in Management Sciences ranges up to 1.6 lacs a year.
While this fee structure is relatively lenient than many other Indian institutes, the Indian Institute of Science still advances multiple scholarship awards to provide financial assistance to students.
Stay hooked to this article until the last and learn about the scholarship programs offered by the Indian Institute of Science and other important details regarding these funding programs. Let’s get started!
Acceptance Rate of the Indian Institute of Science (IISC): 2%
For those of you wondering how hard it is to get admitted to the Indian Institute of Science, we have listed the acceptance and rejection rates as of 2021 below:
- The acceptance rate at the Indian Institute of Science: 2%
- Rejection rate at the Indian Institute of Science: 98&
In case you are wondering, ‘Why is the Indian Institute of Science that hard to get into?’ the reason is that the IISC ranks amongst the top-notch higher education institutes of the country. Moreover, the Indian Institute of Science accepts only those students to compete for a seat who show remarkable performance in the most prestigious entrance exams of the country, which includes KVPY, JEE, and NEET.
How Many International Students Are There at the Indian Institute of Science?
In the year that passed, the Indian Institute of Science, more commonly known as the Tata Institute, admitted 55 international students. They belonged from countries including Bangladesh, Egypt, Ethiopia, Nepal, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Sudan.
75% of this student population got admitted to a Ph.D. Program while the remaining 25% in Master’s degree programs.
Scholarships Available at the Indian Institute of Science (IISC):
The Indian Institute of Science (IISC) accommodates students with two funding sources; the institute’s internal scholarships and external scholarships from the government. Given below is the detailed information of both these types of funding sources:
The university awards internal scholarships to students from their date of joining the institute. Moreover, the value of these scholarships ranges according to the degree programs they are applying to.
- For Ph.D. program applicants – 31,000-35,000 INR
- For M.Tech program applicants – 12,400 INR
- For M.Des program applicants – 12,400 INR
- For Integrated Ph.D. Program applicants – awards worth 16,000/ 31,000/ 35,000 INR based on previous results.
#2 Governmental Scholarships at IISC:
Other than the above-listed scholarship awards, the Indian Institute of Science also provides financial assistance to students through the following scholarship programs:
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Scholarships are awarded to those national and international students who have cleared either the GATE or the JEST or the JAM entrance exams provided that they are willing to get enrolled in the following faculties at IISc: Medical Engineering, M.Tech, and MSc Engineering.
Moreover, the MHRD Scholarship awards winners 1 lac, 25 thousand a year for tuition and sustenance.
These scholarships allow students to attend the Asian Science Camp (ASC) hosted in China. The only mandatory requirement for this scholarship is that the student must have KVPY or INSPIRE Fellowship and should be studying Science, Math, or Engineering at IISc.
IISC awards the KVPY Fellowships to Indian students aiming to pursue scientific studies at the undergraduate level at the IISc.
The Indian government has launched this scholarship program to financially assist 100 students each year. Furthermore, the scholarship holders will receive a grant worth INR 10 lac.
So, which scholarship program are you applying to at the Indian Institute of Science IISC?