The 2020-2021 Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Programme is now open for applications from international students to avail the opportunity to study for free in Ireland Universities.
Ireland’s government scholarship offers bachelor, master and doctoral level programs in their Irish Universities to all international students each year.
Ireland Government Scholarship Coverage and Benefits
Benefits for students: Scholarships must be regarded as highly desirable and value-adding to individuals’ subsequent lives and careers. In view of this, the GOI-IES will be
- to high caliber higher education students from non-EU/EEA countries;
- to study in Ireland for a period of one year
Benefits for the Higher Education sector
GOI-IES will reflect Ireland’s commitment to excellence in the provision of higher education for both domestic and international students:
- for scholarships that will highlight Ireland’s strengths as a center of international education;
- to promote links with target markets globally;
- to strengthen the internationalization strategies of HEIs especially in the context of the system performance framework.
How to apply for the Ireland Government Scholarship?
Applicants will need to apply for admission to a relevant Bachelor, Master or Ph.D. program offered by an eligible Higher Education Institution (see Appendix 1) as per that HEI’s admission procedures. Applicants are expected to have a conditional or final offer of admission to the HEI at the time of application and will be required to submit a copy of the same. Should an applicant be in receipt of more than one offer, separate applications may be submitted for each course offer. Final offers will be subject to admission to the relevant HEI. Applicants should make inquiries directly to the relevant institution prior to the submission of an application to the HEA.
The Ireland Scholarship scheme is managed by the Higher Education Authority (HEA), on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills. Following a competitive process based on an annual call for proposals from individual applicants, the HEA will approve a defined number of scholarships under the scheme to successful applicants.
Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships will be awarded to high caliber students from non-EU/EEA countries to study full-time in Ireland for a period of one year. The following are the terms and conditions that will apply:
The HEA will award a scholarship fund to the student (through the HEI that the student is attending) amounting to €10,000 for one study year. This the fund is directed at covering student costs and living expenses. The scholarship may be for:
- The final year of an undergraduate program;
- One year of a taught master’s degree program or;
- One year of a research program (i.e. one year of 2-year research masters or a 3-4-year Ph.D. program).
- The scholarship stipend will be transferred to the host higher education the institution (HEI) of the successful student and forwarded by that HEI to the scholar in two payments of €5,000.
- The HEI will be required to give a FULL fee waiver to the student for the scholarship year (i.e. tuition fee and registration charge are waived). This is the minimum matching funding requirement that institutions will be
required to make to the scholarship scheme.
- It is expected that a total of 60 scholarships will be funded by the Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships for the academic year 2019/2020.
- Applicants must have a domiciliary of origin1 not equal to the EU/EEA or Switzerland
- Scholarships may be approved for study across all disciplines, subject to the availability of places.
- Due to the very large number of Ireland Scholarship applications, it will not be possible to give feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
Opening and Closing dates of Ireland Government Scholarship 2021
The Call for Applications will issue 1 February 2020 and the centralized application system that is now available online and will be accepting applications.
- The closing date for receipt of Ireland Government Scholarship applications is 5 pm on Friday 30 March 2020 (Irish Time). Late applications will not be accepted.
- Any questions regarding the call for applications should be submitted to
[email protected] no later than 28 February 2020. The answers to all questions received will be posted on www.EurIreland.ie website. Telephone queries cannot be accommodated.
- The HEA will advise the applicants and the HEIs of the outcome of the evaluation process by 31 May 2020.