Shanghai Government Scholarship (SGS Scholarship) applications are open for those international students who wish to pursue higher education in the Shanghai region of China for the academic session 2021-2022. These Shanghai scholarships are fully funded and the benefits of it are parallel to that of the Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS).
These Shanghai scholarships are awarded to non-Chinese students to study Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhDs in a number of subject areas like literature, law, economics, philosophy, education, history, science, agriculture, engineering, management, art, and medicine.
Shanghai Scholarship Categories
The scholarship by Shanghai Government is divided into three categories and will be awarded based on the applicant’s overall profile.
Category A: The first category awards a full scholarship along with a monthly stipend of 3,000 RMB for candidates pursuing MS degrees and 3500 RMB for candidates pursuing Ph.D. degrees. The full scholarship benefits include full tuition fee waiver, on-campus accommodation, and complete medical insurance.
Category B: The second category awards a partial scholarship which gives a waiver of tuition fee and includes no monthly stipend. It also gives medical insurance.
Category C: The third category only gives out a stipend of 8,000 RMB per year for living expenses. The rest of the expenses (tuition and educational) are to be borne by the student himself/herself.
Eligibility Criteria for Shanghai Scholarship:
The candidate must qualify for the bare minimum criteria given below before going ahead with the application:
- The candidate must be proficient in either Chinese or the English language. IELTS is not mandatory but the candidate should meet the language requirements set by his/her university of choice.
- The candidate must be non-Chinese and should be in good health.
- Applicants applying for a pre-college program should possess at least a high school diploma and should be under the age of 23.
- Applicants applying for a bachelor’s program must be under 25 years of age and must have at least a high school diploma.
- Applicants for master’s programs must be under 35 years of age and should have a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject area. The degree should be from a recognized educational institution.
- Applicants for doctoral programs must be under 40 years of age and should have a master’s degree in an appropriate subject area. The degree should be from a recognized educational institution.
- Applicants should have a satisfactory academic background and an outstanding educational record.
- Applicants should be meeting the entrance requirements set by their desired university/universities.
- Applicants should not be receiving any other scholarship sponsored by the Chinese government.
Period of the Shanghai Scholarship:
The scholarship is offered for a period of up to five years. Recipients enrolled in a bachelor’s program get the scholarship for 4 to 5 years. Recipients of the scholarship in a master’s program get the scholarship for 2 to 3 years. For Ph.D. students, the period of the scholarship is 3 to 4 years.
A number of universities are affiliated with this scholarship. Some of them are Fudan University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Tongji University, Donghua University, Shanghai University, etc.
How to Apply for Shanghai (SGS) Scholarship:
Here is the step by step procedure of how to apply for the Shanghai Government Scholarship:
- Make an account of your name on the SGS website.
- From the list of universities affiliated with Shanghai government scholarship, choose university/universities of your choice. Make sure that the university you are choosing offers the program you are interested in pursuing.
- Convince the professors of that program to grant you an acceptance letter. This is optional and cannot be applied everywhere. Usually, this step is only for the research-based programs whereby the candidates are accepted based on their research potential.
- Fill the SGS form. This form is to be filled with diligence. Select type A of the scholarship, submit all the required documents, and download the form in order to link it with your university application form.
- Fill the university form. After filling out the form, submit the documents required by the university. Attach both the forms and submit them online or send them to the email address provided.
List of Documents Required for Shanghai Scholarship Application:
Every university may require you to submit a different set of documents. But, here is a generalized list of documents that you may need to prepare:
- Attested copies of all the degrees by SGS.
- Attested copies of all the transcripts.
- Certificate of physical exam/Medical exam.
- Photocopy of blood report.
- Photocopy of Passport.
- Acceptance letter by the university (this one is optional)
- Language proficiency Certificate (Chinese or English)
- One of the following documents:
- Abstract for Ph.D. thesis.
Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions about SGS Scholarships:
#1 What is the deadline to apply for the Shanghai SGS Scholarship?
The deadline for applying to the scholarship falls somewhere between January to June every year.
#2 Do you need IELTS for the Shanghai Government Scholarship?
Although it is not mandatory to submit the results of IELTS/TOEFL, some universities’ requirements may beg to differ. Instead, consider submitting an English Proficiency Certificate.
#3 Do you need GRE for Shanghai Scholarship?
GRE is not required for the Shanghai government scholarship (SGS) application.
#4 Is there any application fee to apply for the Shanghai Government Scholarship?
The application fee is not required by a lot of universities, but make sure to check out your desired universities’ requirements.
#5 Do you need to submit original documents with the Shanghai scholarship application?
No, you can submit copies of your original documents with the application but upon acceptance, the admitted students have to bring in or send their original documents. Without that, their admission can be canceled.
#6 When will be the result announced for Shanghai SGS Scholarship?
The result is sent to the applicant’s account on SGS. It is also announced on the news board of the official website of the International Students’ Office. Applicants meeting the entry requirement are not guaranteed to get the scholarship. The criteria are only for application, not acceptance.