UK Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Program is one of the most recognized scholarship programs around the world. The owners of this program believe that all students should be given equal chances to continue their studies in the UK irrespective of their background. Here, it is pertinent to mention that lower-middle-class students who belong to less-developed Commonwealth countries are eligible for this scholarship. The eligible students are given a choice to take admission in any university of the selected countries. Those universities get support from UK universities to accommodate students.
It is also worth mentioning that the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Program accepts only those students who have the potential to bring positive change in the world particularly to the country of residence. This is a way to bring changes in less developed countries of the Commonwealth. An attractive feature of this scholarship program is that it provides equal opportunities to all deserving students without any policy of discrimination. This means that the talented students from all the less developed Commonwealth countries have equal chances to get these scholarships which allow them to study in the UK.
Themes Supported by Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
There are certain themes behind offering Commonwealth Shared Scholarships to international students. These are:
#1 Use of Science and Technology for Development Purpose: The study of science and technology that relates to the needs of people in low-income countries.
#2 Improvement in Capacity of Health System: Its study relates to the health benefits and ways to bring improvements in it for poor people in low-income countries.
#3 Promote Worldwide Prosperity: Another theme for awarding these scholarships is the promotion of global prosperity. This helps lower-income countries grow at a comparatively fast pace.
#4 Stressing Global Security, Peace, and Governance: Commonwealth Scholarships Program also aims at strengthening peace, security, and governance at all levels.
#5 Improving Resilience and Response to Crises: A feeling of resilience and quick response is created among the students awarded these scholarships. This attitude on their part helps the country adapt to changing circumstances. It also helps them to face sudden shocks boldly.
#6 Creating Opportunities and Granting Access: Last but not least, the students under these scholarships program are given knowledge and skills to increase opportunities for those who are disadvantaged.
Benefits of Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Program
Like all other scholarship programs for international students, the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships program has its own benefits. Some of these are:
- Return airfare from your home country to the UK approved and awarded by CSC.
- Tuition fees paid by CSC.
- Living allowance of £1,084/month for all cities except London Metropolitan City where £1,330/month paid by the university where you get admission.
- Special allowance for purchasing warm clothes in the areas which receive abundant snowfall.
- All the costs for the preparation of the thesis are also paid.
- Traveling with the UK for study purposes is also funded by CSC.
- On your return home, CSC provides funds in the form of excess baggage allowance which is verified by the university.
- Health facilities including tests for various diseases are also funded by CSC.
- In the case of widows, child allowance is also provided at the rate of £465/month for a single child and £114/month for the second and third child below 16 years of age.
Criteria Laid for Commonwealth Scholarships Program
All the applicants fulfilling the following criteria are eligible for the award of Commonwealth Shared Scholarships.
- Be a citizen of a commonwealth country or having a refugee status or protected by the British Government.
- Available to start his academic studies as per the schedule of British universities.
- Not have studied in any of the high-income countries.
- They should be unable to continue studies in the UK without scholarships.
- Students living in Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, Cameroon, Rwanda, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Island, and many other countries can apply for these scholarships.
UK Commonwealth Shared scholarship Deadlines
Usually, the deadline for applying to the UK Commonwealth Shared scholarship is in December each year. The students can apply online through official website of CSC.