The German Government is now awarding German Government Scholarships to international students and this article explains how an international student may apply for a scholarship in Germany. Many students from these developing countries apply and they are approved for the DAAD scholarship and they get the opportunity to bet enrolled in various universities in Germany. The students are awarded these DAAD scholarships to study courses that are taught in both German and English languages. The DAAD scholarship is however not available for undergraduates and is only for postgraduate students. To be approved for the DAAD scholarship, a student has to show proof for two years of working experience. The courses that are approved under DAAD scholarship are those that have a duration of more than a year and less than three years.
Coverage and Benefits of German Government Scholarship
DAAD Scholarship covers the following expenses for international students during their course of stay in a German University under the DAAD Scholarship approved degree program:
- Doctorate students get a monthly allowance of 1000 Euros
- Postgraduate students get a monthly allowance of 750 Euros
- There is also a provision where these students can receive a travel grant
- The students also get accommodation for free at the university
- Both postgraduate and doctorate students get health insurance coverage
- The students get to study for free in a German university
Application Process of German Scholarship
- Download the application form for DAAD scholarship.
- Make a personalized CV with your signature.
- Write a motivation letter and hand sign it.
- Write a detailed research proposal.
- Get recommendation letter from your previous university.
- Add referral or experience letter from the previous workplace.
- Include English or German language proficiency certificate.
- Apply for DAAD Scholarship directly to German University.
- Add supplementary documents to support your DAAD application.
- Submit online DAAD Scholarship application and send in hard copies to the University.
The procedure for applying depends on the type of scholarship as well as the chosen program. Detailed information on how to make an application can be found on the DAAD website as well as a list of local contacts that you can use in case you have questions.
What is DAAD?
DAAD is the abbreviation of Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, which is a department of Germany that sponsor scholarships for students to study in Germany.
This simply means that the application is done online. You have to create an account in the DAAD portal after which you choose the scholarship program and then submit your application. You can only submit an application of the application process is still open. To find out the application dates, go to the ‘application procedure’ on the portal.
Which courses are offered under German Government Scholarships?
The scholarships offered by DAAD accommodate all subjects. However, there are some limitations when it comes to subjects like medicine and subject-specific programs. Applicants should go through the scholarship database to choose the specific scholarships aligning with your subject category.
Can you apply to the German Government Scholarship with Hope Certificate?
Yes! you can apply for a German Scholarship with a hope certificate. The candidates with hope certificates are required to attach their documents online including their hope certificate that also mentions the date of their graduation.