The fully-funded Japanese Undergraduate Scholarships by MEXT 2023-2024 are open for online applications for international students to grab a golden chance to study for free in top Ranked Japanese Universities. IELTS is not required to apply for MEXT Japanese Scholarships as they also accept English proficiency certificates, TOEFL, PTE, DET, or CAEL.
If you are interested to apply for MEXT postgraduate scholarships then the good news is they are also open for online applications for all international students.
The Japanese Ministry of Education (MOE), Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan is offering scholarships to undergraduate students from all over the world to come and study in one of the Japanese universities of their choice. The details of this MEXT undergrad scholarship are given below:
The fields of study allowed are natural sciences, humanities, and social sciences. The approved subject areas are history, literature, law, politics, Japanese language, sociology, business administration, economics, physics, chemistry, mathematics, electrical engineering, medicine, dentistry, biology, pharmacy, etc.
All the successful applicants will have to get through a preparatory course of one year in a Japanese institution to study the Japanese language and other prerequisite courses. Students who have enough proficiency in the Japanese language can skip the preparatory course as well.
Duration of MEXT Undergrad Scholarship:
The MEXT bachelor’s degree scholarships for international students will last for five years starting from 2023. This will include one year of preparatory course that the grantees will undertake as well as the four years of their bachelor’s studies. Students studying the subjects of dentistry, pharmacy, medicine, and veterinary medicine will get the scholarship for a period of up to seven years.
MEXT Undergrad Scholarship Sponsorship Coverage:
The winners of Japanese fully funded MEXT undergrad Scholarships will be entitled to receive the following benefits during their stay at any Japanese University:
- A monthly stipend of 117,000 yen. Additionally, a monthly allowance of up to 3000 will be given to students conducting research in one of the specially selected areas of Japan.
- Coverage for examination and tuition fees will be given by MEXT.
- Allowance for travel expenses
- A one-time, two-way economy class air ticket for traveling to and from the recipient’s home country.
- Accommodation in one of the Residence Halls of the universities.
Eligibility Criteria for MEXT (Undergraduate Students):
- Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than Japan. That country also should have diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants must be 25 years or less in age at the time of application. If an applicant has justifying circumstances like loss of academic years due to war, or military service, they can apply even if they cross the age limit specified. Applicants cannot be younger than 17 years either.
- Applicants must have completed 12 years of education at the time of their acceptance in one of the Japanese universities. This education must have been completed in schools that are located outside of Japan.
- Applicants must show their enthusiasm for Japan and the Japanese language. They should be willing to be taught in Japanese upon their arrival in Japan.
- Applicants should be healthy enough to survive in Japan. They also have to submit a health certificate guaranteeing that.
Documents for MEXT Undergrad Scholarship Application:
- Application form for MEXT undergrad Scholarship (Download from the end of article)
- Direct Placement Preference Form
- Transcripts for all the schools or colleges attended so far
- Letter of intent (LOI)
- Graduation certificate/s
- Statement of purpose
- Medical or health certificate form
- Recommendation letter from either the principal or class teacher of the last school attended by the applicant.
- Enrollment certificate.
- Language proficiency certificate
- Hope certificate
- Scanned copy of ID card or passport
All of these documents will have to be submitted by the applicants to whom these are applicable.
MEXT Undergrad Scholarships Process of Application:
This scholarship can be applied to using the Japanese Embassy or Japanese Consulate in the Applicant’s home country. Applicants will have to visit the website of their Japanese Embassy and search for MEXT scholarship in the Scholarships section.
- Download the application form and fill it out. Double-check everything that you fill in the application form.
- Submit the documents mentioned above along with the application form.
- The Japanese Embassy will then take a written test from all the applicants.
- The shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
- The successful applicants will then be informed of their selection.
Application Deadline of MEXT Undergrad Scholarships: July 2023
The applications for MEXT undergrad Scholarships are usually opened in April of every year. But due to the current situation globally, the announcement for applications was made a little late. The last date of submitting the MEXT Scholarship application is up to the discretion of the applicants’ respective embassies.