This new year began with the announcement of Sweden Government Scholarship for the academic year 2020. Sweden Government Scholarships are offered under Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals also known as (SISGP Scholarships).
Aim of Swedish Institute Scholarship 2020
Do you have ambition, leadership experience and a strong professional background? You could study for a master’s degree in Sweden on a fully-funded Swedish Institute scholarship. Find out in the detailed article if you are eligible for Sweden Scholarship and how to apply for this Swedish Scholarship award.
Swedish Institute Scholarship Coverage and Benefits
- Living allowance of SEK 10,000/month
- Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development
- Tuition fees: pay directly to the Swedish university by SI
- Travel grant of SEK 15,000 *
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to help you grow professionally and build your network while in Sweden
- Insurance against illness and accident
It must be noted that the travel grant is a one-time payment for the entire study period. The grant is not applicable to students already living in Sweden.
List of documents required to apply for Swedish Institute Scholarship of Sweden
You should only submit the required documents listed below in your online scholarship application. We will not consider any other documents than the required ones. You must complete your application in English. Use our forms and templates provided below and complete them according to the instructions both below and in the forms, or else your applications will be disqualified. Kindly note the length limitation for your answers and the documents.
- A motivation letter: you must use the SISGP form for motivation letter 2020/2021. You need to fill in and upload the motivation letter as a PDF-file on the application portal during the application period.
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV): you must use the SISGP form for CV 2020/2021 and the CV should not exceed three pages. It’s up to you to decide which parts are relevant for your application. Additional pages will not be considered.
- Two different letters of reference: you must use the SISGP form for letter of reference 2020/2021. At least one letter of reference must be based on your work experience. It will be a merit if the second letter of reference is based on your involvement in networks or civil society organisations outside of your regular work. The letters should be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organisation or a notary office. The form(s) should be typed, then printed, signed and stamped; and then be uploaded as one PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and in our FAQ.
- Proof of work and leadership experience: you must use the SISGP form for proof of work and leadership experience 2020/2021. The work and leadership form should be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organisation or a notary office. The form(s) should be typed, then printed, signed and stamped; and then be uploaded as one PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and in our FAQ.
- A copy of your passport: your personal data including name, citizenship and photograph must be shown clearly. Copy of passport should be included together with the CV as a last fourth page. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a copy of your valid passport to include.
Make sure you have a complete application material to apply for the Sweden Government Scholarship.
A complete application must consist of:
- a completed motivation letter
- a CV
- two valid and completed letters of reference
- valid and completed proof of work and leadership experience
- a copy of your valid passport
If your application is missing one of the required documents above, it will be disqualified.
Swedish Institute Scholarship Eligibility Criteria and Requirements
#1 Leadership experience
You must have demonstrated leadership experience from your current or previous employment.
#2 Work experience
You must have a minimum of 3,000 hours of demonstrated employment.
#3 Eligible Citizenship
You must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the Swedish institute scholarship programme.
#4 University admissions Eligibility Criteria
You must be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities, have followed the steps of university admission, and be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programmes by 3 April 2020.
#5 Dual Citizenship and other Criteria
There are also conditions regarding dual citizenship, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more.
How to apply for the Swedish Institute Scholarship?
#1 Apply for admission into a degree program at universityadmissions.se
- Only master’s programs that are on the list of master’s programs are eligible for SISGP.
- To begin with, apply for up to four eligible master’s programs at universityadmissions.se by 15 January 2020.
- University Admissions is the national online application service that handles admissions to universities in Sweden. It is an independent agency not related to the Swedish Institute (SI). The eligibility and application procedure for SI scholarships and for university admissions are different.
- Once you have submitted your application to the master’s program (s) at universityadmissions.se, you will get a personal application number consisting of eight digits. Save the number as you will need it when applying to SISGP. Make sure that you type the correct number in the online application form, or otherwise, your application will be disqualified.
- 3 February 2020 is the deadline for receipt of application fee and supporting documents that are required by University Admissions. The application fee is non-refundable.
- If you missed the deadlines or failed to follow the application procedure at University Admissions, you will not be eligible for an SI scholarship.
#2 This is the stage to apply for a Swedish SISGP scholarship
- After you have completed your application to a master’s program you can apply for an SI scholarship. See more information about the required documents and forms above.
- During the application period 10-20 February 2020, submit the required documents digitally through our online application portal.
- The online application portal is open from 00:00 CET 10 February 2020 to 23:59 CET 20 February 2020. Access to the online application portal will be available on this page below during the application period.
#3 Confirmation from University Admissions department
Sweden Scholarship Duration
The Swedish scholarship is intended for full-time one-year or two-year master’s programmes and is only awarded for programmes starting in the autumn semester. The tuition fee will be paid directly to the Swedish universities at the beginning of each semester. The stipend for living expenses is paid monthly during the Swedish scholarship period.
The Swedish scholarship period cannot be changed or extended beyond the awarded scholarship period, nor can the scholarship be transferred to a study programme other than the awarded master’s programme.
What kind of person will have maximum chances to win a Swedish Institute Scholarship of Sweden?
The Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals (SISGP) programme is part of the Swedish government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders who will contribute to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It is funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Sweden and administered by the Swedish Institute (SI). The programme offers a unique opportunity for global professionals to develop professionally and academically, to experience Swedish society and culture, and to build a long-lasting relationship with Sweden and with each other.
The goal is to enable the scholarship holders to play an active role in the positive development of the societies in which they live. Ideal candidates are ambitious young professionals with academic qualifications, demonstrated work and leadership experience, ambition to make a difference by working with issues which contribute to a just and sustainable development in their country in a long term perspective, and a clear idea of how a study programme in Sweden would benefit their country.
Priority will be given to applicants with a strong and relevant professional background and demonstrated leadership experience.
Can you apply for more than one-degree program on Sweden Scholarship by Swedish Institute?
You should submit only one scholarship application for all the eligible master’s programmes that you applied for at universityadmissions.se. It means, in one scholarship application, you can apply for SI scholarships for up to four eligible master’s programmes that you applied at universityadmissions.se. However, if you have also applied for a master’s programme(s) at Stockholm School of Economics (SSE), you should create and submit an additional scholarship application separately for the master’s programme(s) at SSE. If you only want to apply for SI scholarships for master’s programme(s) at SSE, you only need to submit one scholarship application for all the master’s programms you applied for at SSE.
Each scholarship application should have only one of each required document attached, no matter how many master’s programmes you applied for. If you have applied at both universityadmissions.se and SSE, you should attach all the required documents in both the scholarship applications.