Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023-2024 are now open for admission applications for all international students from October 1, 2022. The deadline to submit the Swiss Excellence Scholarship application is December 1, 2022. It is a great chance to avail in order to study for free in Switzerland.
It must be noted that the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023 are fully funded that covers full tuition fees, monthly stipend payments, room, health insurance, and other student expenses.
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023-2024 are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Swiss Scholarships Funds Coverage and Allowances
The Swiss Excellence Scholarship 2023 covers the following for all international students:
- Sponsored Research Fund
- Free Airfare Tickets
- Sponsorship for Monthly Stipend (CHF 1,920)
- Free Accommodation (CHF 300 housing allowance)
- Paid Health Insurance
- Full Tuition Fees Waiver
- Housing Allowance Disbursements
Types of Swiss Excellence Scholarships 2023
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This Swiss scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
- The Research Scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level. Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
Swiss Government Scholarship Selection criteria
The FCS assesses Swiss Excellnce scholarship applications according to three criteria:
a) Candidate profile
b) Quality of the research project or artistic work
c) Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
Eligibility Criteria for Swiss Excellence Scholarships
- Applicants who have been in Switzerland for more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the research. Without such support, the application will be rejected.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the centerpiece of the application.
- The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the research/studies.
- Applicants who have already benefited from a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are expected to move to Switzerland during their grant period.
How to Apply for Switerzland Government Scholarships?
Candidates are required to send the above-listed documents to their local Swiss country Embassies prior to their country-specific deadlines. You can check the country-specific Swiss Scholarship application and deadline information from the links available at the end of this article.
List of Documents Required to Apply for the Swiss Excellence Scholarship:
- Signed FCS application form (typed and printed) with photos.
- A full CV with a list of academic publications, awards, etc.
- A motivation letter (max. 2 pages).
- A complete research proposal (max. 5 pages, signed), using exclusively the FCS research proposal form.
- A copy of the letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the research.
- A short CV of the academic mentor at the home institution.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from two different professors in the applicant’s field (use exclusively the FCS reference form – originals in sealed envelopes only for the 1st set). No copies of 2nd set.
- Photocopies of certificates and grade sheets from previously attended universities/colleges and diplomas with grades, starting with the most recent. If not in English, French, Italian, or German with attested certified translations in English. Do not submit the original certificates.
- Signed medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form).
- Two copies of the applicant’s passport (main page with personal data). Dual nationals add copies of both passports. Applicants already in Switzerland during the application procedure add a copy of the residence permit for Switzerland.
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship Deadline: Dec 31, 2022
The last date to submit an application for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2023-2024 is 31 December 2022.