CAS-TWAS Scholarships in China are now known as ANSO Scholarships. The CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarships 2023-2024 Program is now accepting applications for the 2023 academic session; from international scholars. The application process for the CAS-TWAS is now open for applications and will remain open through to March 31st, 2023.
What is CAS Scholarship in China?
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) is an educational institution based in China, which primarily focuses on natural sciences, technological developments, and technology in the country itself. The Chinese Academy of Sciences is involved in setting up a learning community, as well as providing advanced-level educational courses related to technology and science. In addition to that, the CAS has developed an extensive research and development network.
The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) has partnered with The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) to offer this fellowship program. The World Academy of Sciences was initially an autonomous, global organization. It did not come under the supervision or regulation of the government. This organization was founded by a group of renowned scientists from Italy.
The purpose of setting up the organization was to provide a nurturing environment for individuals with scientific aptitudes and help them achieve finesse in their work. It is hoped that this can play an instrumental role in sustained development in the long run. A few years down the road, TWAS entered into an agreement with the United National Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organizations (UNESCO), which now oversees the administrative workings of the organization.
The Chinese Academy of Sciences and The World Academy of Sciences have now collaborated in an attempt to encourage and support scientific research in developing regions of the world. The CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program came about as a result of this collaboration.
Through this program, 200 individuals from all over the world will be provided with a scholarship to pursue a doctorate degree in China. Today, this scholarship is held in very high regard in the country. Recipients of this fellowship can pursue various doctoral programs at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), or at any of the numerous CAS Institutes in the country.
Who can apply for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023-2024?
The CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 provides financial support to aspiring individuals from the fields of science and technology, who are aiming for doctorate degrees in China.
What is the duration of the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023?
The CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program is designed to provide financial support to successful applicants for their doctorate degrees in China for up to four full academic years.
Coverage and Benefits of the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023
Recipients of the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program will receive these benefits:
- Compensation for travel-related expenses:
Individuals who have been awarded the scholarship will receive a fully paid for air travel ticket to China from the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program. It is important to note that this will apply to one trip per person. Out of the 200 awardees, TWAS will fund the air travel for 80 individuals, while CAS takes care of the other 120 people.
In addition, the travel costs will also cover the visa-related cost, which has been set at $65. This is a one-time compensation, which will be offered to the individual upon his or her arrival at the host universities in China. If a recipient is already in China when they receive the fellowship, then they will not be given any travel and visa-related compensation.
- Stipend for the CAS-TWAS Fellowship:
All awardees will receive monthly stipends as a part of the scholarship, which is usually between RMB 7000 and RMB 8000. This will be funded by CAS through UCAS or USTC. This stipend is intended to be used for all accommodation and everyday living expenditures, travel-related expenses, as well as health insurance. This stipend will only be paid once an awardee is successful in the qualification test held by UCAS or USTC for the recipients of the fellowship.
- CAS-TWAS Scholarship Qualification Test:
All awardees of the fellowship will be required to sit for a qualification test that is conducted by UCAS or USTC so that they become eligible for the monthly stipend. If an awardee fails to pass the test in a total of two attempts, they may be subject to penal action in accordance with the rules of the UCAS or USTC:
- The CAS-TWAS scholarship may be terminated,
- The awardee’s doctoral studies at the CAS educational institutions may be terminated,
- The awardee may be given a certificate of attendance for the amount of time he/she has spent in the program, but a doctoral degree will not be conferred.
- CAS-TWAS Fellowship Application and Tuition Fee Waiver:
All recipients of the fellowship will have their application fees and tuition fees waived.
Eligibility Criteria for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023
In order to be eligible for the CAS-TWAS President’s scholarship 2023, aspiring individuals should meet these conditions:
- As of 31st of December, 2023, the applicant may not be older than 35.
- Applicants must not have a Chinese nationality at the submission of the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2021 Program application.
- All applicants must ensure that they meet the terms and requirements of admission to USTC or UCAS, wherever they wish to study.
- All applicants should hold a Master’s academic degree prior to the 1st of September, 2023.
- All applicants should provide proof of knowledge of either Chinese or English.
- All applicants will be required to provide evidence that each person will return to his or her home country upon completion of their programs in China.
- During the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program, recipients of the fellowship may not take any additional assignments.
- If an individual is already pursuing a doctorate program in China, then he or she will not be able to apply for this fellowship.
- Applicants may not send applications to both USTC and UCAS at the same time for the fellowship.
- Each applicant must apply only to one supervisor at a specific school, either USTC or UCAS.
Document Requirements for CAS-TWAS Scholarship Application
The following documents are required by the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program:
- Reference Letters:
Each applicant has to provide two letters of reference that have been written by referees who personally know the applicant and his or her work. The host supervisor may not be one of the two referees. It is preferred that the referees are also TWAS members, although this isn’t a requirement.
The letters of recommendation need to be scanned as well as uploaded along with the online application. In addition, a hard copy of the letters has to be sent to USTC or UCAS prior to the deadline. These letters should not be pasted within an email. Applicants will not be given any indication regarding the identity of TWAS members by TWAS. Applicants can only contact them for letters of recommendation if they know them personally. The referees will also be required to scan the letters of recommendation and upload them, as well as mail hard copies to the USTC or UCAS sub-offices.
- Referees’ and Supervisor’s Acceptance Letter:
All applicants need to remind their supervisors to fill out the comment section of the supervisor and add their signature on the CAS-TWAS application form at their end. This acceptance letter document has to be sent to USTC or UCAS before the deadline. Individuals who are applying to UCAS also have to send hard copies of this form to the respect UCAS affiliated institution or college where the student will be going.
- Acceptance Letter Form Scan:
Individuals who are applying to USTC have to ask their supervisors to send a scan of the form via email to [email protected]. A hard copy can also be sent to the institute’s Office of International Cooperation. Applicants are also responsible for sending reminders to their referees that they have to scan the reference letters and upload them as well. These documents also have to be posted to the USTC or UCAS sub-offices as well.
All applicants also have to ensure that they submit all required documents that provide evidence of the details filled out by the applicant in the application form. It is important for these documents to be in Chinese or in English. If the documents are in some other language, then they have to be translated and notarized. When electronic versions of the documents are being uploaded, applicants should make sure that they adhere to the formatting specifications of the system.
- Sending Hard Copies of Scanned Documents:
If an applicant is successful and awarded the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program and gets an acceptance to USTC or UCAS institutes, then he or she has to submit hard copies of the original documents that were submitted online earlier. In addition, the passport of the applicant also has to be given to the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program office once the individual reaches China. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
List of Documents Required to Apply for CAS-TWAS Scholarships:
Applicants can refer to the list below to see the documents that need to be submitted online along with the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program application.
- Each applicant needs to submit his or her passport, which must be valid for a period of at least two years. The pages containing personal details and validity have to be uploaded.
- The applicant must submit an updated and complete CV, which should contain a summary of their research experience.
- The applicant needs to submit copies of his or her original degrees of both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Applicants who are almost about to graduate or who still have to receive the official degrees are required to send official letters obtained from their respective institutions where they are presently enrolled, which should verify their student status and should also mention the expected date of graduation.
- Applicants must also submit a copy of all their undergraduate and graduate-level course transcripts.
- Each applicant must submit a research proposal that they are planning to undertake.
- A copy of the title page and abstract of a maximum of five published academic papers can be sent.
- Applicants must also provide proof that know either Chinese or English or both. They can send an English Proficiency Certificate, TOEFL, or IELTS score for English, or the HSK report for Chinese.
- Applicants must also download the Foreigner Physical Examination for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2021 Program. This needs to be filled, signed, and also sealed by a certified healthcare provider, who must conduct a physical examination of the candidate. This has to be scanned and uploaded, in addition to all other documents.
- Two letters of recommendation/letters of reference are also required.
The CAS – TWAS President’s Fellowship Program Application Process
Please find below a detailed outline of the application process for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program:
- Eligibility for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program:
First, aspiring applicants have to ensure that they are eligible to apply for this fellowship by thoroughly reviewing the criteria stated above.
- Host Supervisor Requirements for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program:
Applicants can look for host supervisors in their subjects first in USTC or CAS institutions first. It is necessary for the supervisor to be associated with a CAS, USTC, or UCAS-affiliated educational institute, and should also be deemed eligible for offering guidance to students who receive the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program.
Applicants can refer to each university’s website to find a list of eligible supervisors and institutions. After a supervisor has been shortlisted, it is then the responsibility of the applicant to get in touch with the supervisor by sending an email that explains their purpose for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program.
They also need to provide proof that they are academically proficient by submitting a research proposal and an updated resume. In addition, supplementary documentation may also be sent so that the supervisor can gauge the applicant’s academic aptitude. A supervisor may ask for a telephone interview prior to making his/her decision.
- CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program Application:
After a supervisor has agreed to work with a prospective student, the student can then fill out the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program application online. Please note that the application form for USTC institutions is different from the one used for UCAS institutions.
- CAS-TWAS Scholarship Application Form:
Each individual will have to create an online account on the USTC or CAS application website. Follow the instructions provided to fill out the fellowship form. This form will also allow applicants to submit supporting documents as well. It would be wise to submit the application early so that referees and supervisors are also offered plenty of time to assess the applicants and provide letters of recommendation.
The CAS-TWAS application form can be accessed by the applicant as many times as desired, and information can be added or changed before the deadline. All applicants should save any changes made to the form prior to signing out. A PDF version of the application can also be viewed. After all, the information has been reviewed and the applicant is satisfied with it, the application can be submitted. Please remember to save a copy of the application for your future reference.
- Submission of documents for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program:
Applicants are required to upload all required documentation once they have submitted the application form. If the required documentation is not submitted on time, the application may be disqualified. Applicants should make sure that the documents are clear and the file sizes are optimized for submission. Applicants can refer to the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program Requirement for Online Application in order to access a checklist of all the documents that are required for submission.
The CAS – TWAS Scholarship Result, Application Tracking, and Resubmission
After the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program application form has been submitted along with the required documents, the application can be tracked by clicking on ‘Track Your Application’ in order to access the results of the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program. In some cases, the application may be sent back to the applicant to edit further, which can be submitted again.
For example, if an applicant chooses to provide a new email contact of a new referee, another email will be sent to the named referee to allow him/her to submit the reference. In case there have been no changes in the email addresses, then no new emails will be sent out regardless of any other changes that are made to the application. If an applicant changes any parts of the application, it is necessary for him or her to contact the supervisor to inform them of these changes.
Where & When to Apply for the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program?
Individuals who wish to apply to the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program should contact their guides or supervisors should they have any questions related to the scholarship.
Prospective applicants who wish to pursue their programs at UCAS through the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship 2023 Program can submit their applications and address their questions to the:
Ms. Xie Yuchen: CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program UCAS Office (UCAS), University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 80 Zhongguancun East Road, Beijing, 100190, China
Email: [email protected]
Individuals who want to apply to study at USTC through the CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program can submit their applications and address their queries to the:
Ms. Lin Tian (Linda Tian): CAS-TWAS Chinese Scholarship Program USTC Office (USTC), University of Science and Technology of China, 96 Jinzhai Road, Hefei, Anhui, 230026 China
Fax: +86-55-1 63632-579
Tel: +86-55-1 63600-279
Email: [email protected]